Sunday was the boys 4th week of life and it started with an emotional bang for both Dad and me. The boys were able to meet each other again for the first time since birth. Although they are in neighboring rooms, they have been apart since they were pulled into this world. But yesterday we were able to briefly take Elliott off of the monitors, hook him to a mobile oxygen tank and carry him next door to Ethan's room to have some pictures taken of the two of them together - and of course see each other again.
Wow - this was the moment when it was made real - we have TWO of the most beautiful boys (who are identical!) When we put the boys next to each other they managed to grab each others hand and hold on. As they laid next to each other holding a hand, they just stared at each other. Now I am not certain that they REALLY know that each other exists - but for those moments it seemed like they knew that at one point - the two of them were one and that there is a bond that exists between them that is greater than we can understand. It was incredible! Holding back the tears as they held each other, we were able to get several pictures of them as they admired the other in a new, yet seemingly familiar way. Although they were both completely undressed for the photos, while they were together they were surprisingly calm and at ease. I suppose this has been my favorite moment thus far and one that only this experience could bring.
Now here's Dad...
WOW! I can't even begin to fully describe how awesome Sunday was for me. It has been great to hold, snuggle, and comfort them individually, but experiencing them together, kicking and looking around at each other was unforgettable. It was the first time I could look at my boys at the same time - since I saw their little bodies turn from gray to pink in the delivery room 4 weeks ago. Seeing them together gave me a taste of how much fun we are going to have in the coming years with watching them learn and grow.
Here is just one of the many wonderful moments we were able to capture with the boys being being back together again (Ethan-Left and Elliott-Right).
The boys also wanted to provide a little Christmas entertainment for this season. If you are interested in what they put together, give us a shout out with your address. Julie and I told the boys we would address and mail whatever they came up with.
Looking forward to many more "together opportunities."
Mama Bear, Dad, the re-introduced "Brothers"
On a side note - Patrick and I saw a new baby that was recently admitted to the NICU in an isolette across from ours - with what looked like a baby much smaller than our boys ever were. After a conversation between us discussing how blessed we were that our boys were born sooo much bigger than that - we overheard the nurse telling the family that the baby weighed 3 lbs 12 oz....what a shocker! Our boys have already grown so much. I can't believe that I forgot that they were really that small. It was yet another moment when I realized that all of these small moments must be cherished - these tiny lumps of baby that sleep all day on my chest will soon be grown men. I hope I will always remember how small they truly were, and I hope they come to understand that they will always be "my little men."
Oh - and a quick update:
The boys had their oxygen changed to the amounts that would be needed if they are going to send the boys home with oxygen - and they are tolerating it VERY well. They were on "mixed oxygen" (a percent of oxygen - ie. 23 percent oxygen - room air is 21% oxygen) at a higher flow rate through their nasal cannula's, but since home oxygen cannot be mixed (must be 100% oxygen) they changed their cannulas to 100% but with a small flow rate of 0.1 L/min. The number of "spells" they are having has decreased with the change - one step closer to home (with the possibility of home oxygen becoming much more real.) The boys are also increasing the amount of feedings they are taking by mouth. Slowly but surely their endurance is growing. We have been told by the nurses that although it was difficult to see them so vulnerable and struggling at the beginning of life - many parents find this to be the hardest part of the NICU stay - the part where we continue to wait. We see them doing SO well, and can practically see them laying in our cribs at home, in the room specially decorated for them - but have to wait, and wait, and wait for just the right time to set them free from the NICU nest! Our boys are getting close to their first flight. We are still not certain that it will be before the first of the year - but it is always nice to hope.
We love you all and will keep you posted!
Beautiful! Erin H.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great picture! I can't wait to see more. I was looking back through the pictures you've posted on the blog and am amazed at the progress they've made. Hoping your "wimpy white boys" will continue to grow quickly so they can see their beautiful nursery at home soon!
ReplyDeleteLove you all!
Erin
So sweet! How exciting they are growing so fast. I think about you often and hope your family continues to do well.
ReplyDelete